Last updated: January, 20 2022
This policy should be read in conjunction with our Terms and Conditions of Use. By accepting the Policy, you expressly consent to the collection, use and disclosure of your personal information in accordance with this Policy.
Object of the policy
Our main objective when we collect information about you is to offer you a secure, effective and personalized browsing experience. This information enables us to provide you with services and functions that meet your needs and to personalize our service to make your experience more secure and friendlier. The information we collect about you is solely information we deem necessary to achieve this objective.
This Policy describes the information that we collect from you as part of our services and what may happen to that information. Generally, you can browse our Sites without revealing your identity. However, if you sign up as a member of Jobboom, either as a candidate or an employer/recruiter, you are no longer anonymous to us. You can still opt not to provide the requested information by simply not accessing a function or service offered on our Sites.
Collection of personal information
In order to use certain features of our Sites, we may request that you provide certain personal information. We only collect personal information that is necessary to provide you with our different services. Where possible, we indicate which fields are required and which fields are optional.
- When you sign up as a member of Jobboom, you must provide us with certain information such as your family name, first name, email address and password, in order to establish your membership file. Only Jobboom has access to your membership file and only Jobboom can disclose the information contained therein in accordance with this Policy.
- If you sign up using a social media website, like Facebook and Google Plus, you may opt to give us access to certain personal information kept by these websites (see our section on Information from social media websites for more information).
- If you are a registered member, you can choose to post your curriculum vitae and/or complete your applicant profile containing your employment information (the curriculum vitae and applicant profile are defined herein as CV) on our Sites. The scope of the information collected when you post a CV depends on what you have entered. Your CV may contain information such as your full name, address, phone number, professional experience, education, training, skills, picture or any other information about you that you want to share.
- Employer or recruiter members will be asked to provide certain financial information should they opt to purchase our services by using a credit card payment method. The information you will have to provide includes your family name, first name, email and address, as well as your credit card number. This information is needed before we can authorize the purchase. This type of extremely sensitive information, such as your credit card number, is encoded and highly protected during transmission.
- When you sign up for a Job Search Alert and/or a Similar Alert, we will collect your email address, and as applicable: the keywords used in your search for a job, your city and/or postal code, and your preference as to the frequency of the alerts. You may elect to modify your preferences or stop receiving the alerts at any time by using the “Unsubscribe” link provided at the bottom of each email alerts.
- If you subscribe to a mailing list,we will collect your name and email address to send you emails about various news and promotions. Even after subscribing to a newsletter or promotional communication from us, you may elect to modify their preferences by following the “Unsubscribe” link provided in an email or communication received.
- When you visit our Sites, we may collect information about your visit through cookies and similar technologies (see our section on Cookies and other tracking technologies for more information).
- When flagging passive candidates to employers as part of our services, we may also collect and compile information from third party sites where individuals post information about themselves publicly (e.g. LinkedIn, Indeed, Emploi-Québec), in accordance with the Terms and Conditions of these websites.
We may collect other information about you, including information you communicated to us in discussion forums, chat rooms, during dispute settlements or in correspondence you sent us and in which you exchange information through our Sites.
Use of personal information
We collect information about you essentially to be able to give you access to our Sites and thereby allow you to benefit from a secure, effective and personalized experience. You agree that we use such information to:
- give you access to our Sites and services;
- personalize and improve our services, content and advertisements;
- contact you to resolve problems affecting your account or our Sites or for other reasons authorized by law;
- contact you to inform you of our services and the services of our affiliates, including our parent company mdf commerce Inc., send you niche marketing products, give you access to our updated services and promotional offers;
- if you are an employer, to discuss our different plans and solutions when you first create an account with us;
- prevent, detect and, eventually, investigate fraud and security breaches, activities that may prove to be prohibited or illegal;
- enforce our Terms and Conditions of Use and meet legal, regulatory, insurance and processing requirements, and otherwise with your consent, or as permitted or required by law.
In addition, following your registration as a candidate of Jobboom, your registration for a job alert or the sending of your application to an employer via Jobboom, we may automatically send you similar job offers to the email address you used to create a Jobboom account, create the job alert or to apply for a job. Jobboom can determine what these similar job offers are based on various factors, including all the information about you that you post on our sites (including your CV), the searches you do on our sites, the jobs you click on or apply to you, or the items you provide to an employer through the Jobboom platform. Jobboom is not responsible for the completeness and relevance of these similar job offers. You can unsubscribe to these emails regarding similar job offers at any time.
Disclosure of personal information
The term “personal information” means information corresponding to a specific person that might be used to identify him or her. Information that was depersonalized or aggregated and which, as a result, alone or combined with other information, no longer enable a given user to be identified, do not, in our view, constitute personal information. The information contained in the CVs you choose to post on our Sites constitutes personal information and is subject to this Policy.
Jobboom will only disclose your personal information with your consent or if it has legal authority to do so, such as in the following contexts:
- In connection with our CV search service, we share your CV with employers, recruiters, human resource professionals and other registered users of the CV search service. You may opt to either allow all organizations conducting searches using the CV search service to access your CV and contact us or limit access to only those organizations to which you choose to apply. We advise people who access our CV search service to use the CVs for recruitment purposes only. However, Jobboom cannot guarantee that all employers, recruiters and other individuals who have access thereto, will respect the limits which Jobboom imposes on them or that unauthorized individuals will not have access to the database. Jobboom is not responsible for the privacy practices of these employers, recruiters and others who access our CV search service or from whom you apply.
- We may use and disclose personal information in the context of a business transaction, in connection with the proposed or actual financing, securitization, insuring, sale, assignment, or other disposal of all or part of Jobboom, or our business or assets, for the purposes of evaluating and/or performing the proposed transaction. Assignees or successors of Jobboom, or our business or assets, may use and disclose your personal information for similar purposes as those described in this Policy.
- We may be asked to disclose your personal information to meet certain legal, regulatory, insurance, and audit requirements, enforce our Terms and Conditions of Use, respond to claims to the effect that some content breaches the law or the rights of a third person, including intellectual property rights or ensure everyone’s safety and security, and as otherwise with your consent, or as permitted or required by law (including as required by applicable Canadian and foreign laws applicable to us or our service providers). In particular, without the need for a subpoena, we are entitled to disclose your personal information, including your family name, first name, postal code, email address, telephone number (if available), your browsing history of our Sites, your IP address, and any other information that might seem relevant, in response to a formal request from a regulatory body in connection with a criminal investigation or allegedly illegal activities or any other activity that might expose Jobboom to legal liability.
- We may share our data, including personal information about you, with our affiliated companies, potential partners and third-party service providers that perform services on our behalf such as data hosting and processing. To the extent that these entities may have access to your information, they will treat it at least as protectively as they treat information they obtain from their other users. Our affiliated companies, potential partners and third-party service providers shall follow privacy practices no less protective of all users than our practices described in this document, to the extent allowed by applicable law. We may share your personal information with our contracted service providers that participate in our commercial activities.
We do not sell, rent or lease your personal information to third persons for marketing purposes without your explicit consent.
Ensuring the security of your personal information
Computers located in Quebec retain and process your information. We take reasonable steps to protect the personal information in our custody or control using physical, electronic or procedural security measures that are appropriate having regard to the nature and sensitivity of the information, including firewalls, information filtering and encryption. We use different security techniques to protect collected data against unauthorized access by Jobboom’s internal and external users and we take reasonable measures to limit access to this data to authorized employees and contractors who need to know that information in order to perform, develop or improve our services.
Please note that the safety and security of your information is also your responsibility. Your password is an essential tool to ensure the protection of your account. We advise you to create your password with a unique string of numbers, letters and unique special characters and not give it to anyone. If you give your password or your personal information to other people, be advised that you will be held liable for everything done using your account identifiers. If you lose control of your password, you could also lose, to a large extent, the control of your personal information and will have to bear the consequences of legally binding actions taken in your name. If the security or use of your password is compromised, for any reason whatsoever, you must notify Jobboom immediately and create a new password.
Despite all our efforts to preserve the confidentiality of your personal information, third persons may, however, illegally intercept information housed on our Sites or our systems’ security may otherwise be breached. In such a case, we cannot be held liable for any loss, corruption or unauthorized disclosure of information that would be beyond our reasonable control.
Information from social media websites
We provide login services that enable you to use your user name and password on third person social media websites, like Facebook and Google Plus (the Social Media Sites), to access Jobboom.com. We also offer information sharing services with such Social Media Sites.
You can opt to give us access to certain personal information kept by Social Media Sites. The personal information to which we have access varies depending on the Social Media Site and is defined by the privacy protection parameters which you outlined on this site and by the nature of your consent. It might include your name, email address, photos, names of your “friends”, photos of your “friends” and other personal information you provided on the Social Media Sites. By creating a link between an account managed by a third person like Facebook or Google Plus and your Jobboom account and by authorizing Jobboom to access such information, you authorize Jobboom to collect, use and protect and safeguard the information coming from these Social Media Sites in compliance with the provisions of this Policy.
If personal information concerning your “friends” or people you associate with through Social Media Sites forms part of the information you authorize us to access, access to such information may also be subject to the privacy protection parameters which your “friends” have set with the Social Media Sites. If your “friends” or people you associate with through the Social Media Sites do not want us to access their information, they must change the parameters they set on the Social Media Sites or contact our customer service department.
Cookies and other tracking technologies
When you browse our Sites or use our services, we automatically collect information that is sent to us via your computer, your mobile device or, more generally, whatever device you use. The information thus collected may, in particular, include your IP address, your geolocation data, as well as anonymous information collected as a result of our cookies and our web trackers such as the date and time of your visit, the pages you visit, the features you use, the referring URL you came from and which one you go to after, clickstream behaviour (i.e. the pages you view, the links you click, and other actions you take in connection with our Sites), your browser type and selected language.
Cookies are small text files that are stored on your computer’s hard drive and that help us analyze traffic on our Sites’ pages, personalize our services, the content on our Sites and their advertising and gauge the effectiveness of our promotional campaigns. Our service providers may also download cookies on to your computer to post advertising messages and, on our behalf or on behalf of our advertising partners, gauge the effectiveness of our advertising messages and compile anonymous data on their use by visitors to our Sites. The cookies placed by our server are readable only by us, and cookies cannot access, read or modify any other data on a computer.
Finally, when you download or use one of our mobile applications, or you access one of our mobile-optimized sites, we might receive data on your location and on your mobile device, including a unique identifier of your device. We can then use this information to provide you with services, such as advertisement, research results and other personalized content, taking your location into account. You can use the adjustment menus on most mobile devices to activate or deactivate the location services at your convenience.
Links to other sites
We may offer links to other websites controlled by other entities. We are not responsible for, nor do we accept any liability for how such other entities collect, use, and disclose personal information. You should consult the privacy policies of these other websites before providing any personal information.
In the case of certain jobs posted on our Sites, you may possibly have recourse to links that will lead you to another site where you can post and submit your CV for a specific job. In certain cases, such sites are co-branded with the sites of employers, human resource clients or with the sites of our commercial partners. All the CVs and other information of any nature which you submit may thus be found outside Jobboom’s Sites and are beyond our control. In such cases, you will find yourself providing your CV directly to the employer, recruiter, human resource professional or another individual and your CV will be covered by their personal information protection policy. Jobboom is not responsible for the personal information protection policy of these third persons. In these cases, we encourage you to read third person personal information protection policies.
Accessing, correcting and deleting your information
By law, you have the right to request access to and/or correction of the personal information we hold about you. You can post, consult and change most of your personal information by logging on to Jobboom. As a general rule, we do not change your personal information manually as it is very difficult to remotely verify your identity. If your person information changes or is incorrect, you must quickly update it.
We retain your information on our servers until it is no longer necessary to provide our services, to prevent fraud, for troubleshooting, to cooperate in connection with any investigation and comply with the legal requirements prescribed by law.
You can delete your CV from the Site, update it or withdraw your consent to its disclosure. However, employers, recruiters and other individuals who paid to have access to the CV database or with whom you applied for a position may already have a copy of your CV in their own files and databases. Also, please note that we delete certain CVs depending on certain criteria such as the date on which the CV was created, the date on which the CV was last updated, the date on which the CV was last used to apply for a job or your use of your account.
If you have doubts about whether or not we keep a file containing your personal information and you would like confirmation from us, if you want to correct or access information you are unable to do on your own, or if you want the personal information we hold permanently deleted from our servers, please fill in the form available on our Contact us page. Remember to indicate all the email addresses you have sent to Jobboom. Note that if you request deletion of certain information, we may not be able to provide you with certain services. We will explain the consequences of deletion at that time to assist you in your decision.
Before providing you with access to your information, we may ask you for specific information to help us confirm your identity and right of access, and to provide you with the personal information we hold about you, or to make the requested changes. In some cases, applicable law requires us to refuse to provide you with access to some or all of the personal information we hold about you, or that we may have destroyed, erased or made anonymous in accordance with our legal record-keeping obligations and privacy best practices. If we are unable to provide you with access to your personal information, we will inform you of the reasons why, subject to any legal or regulatory restrictions.
This Policy effective as of the last updated date above and may be revised from time to time. If we intend to use or disclose personal information for purposes materially different than those described in this Policy, we will make reasonable efforts to notify you of this, including by posting the revised Policy on our Sites. Your continued provision of personal information or use of our Sites following any changes to this Policy constitutes your acceptance of any such changes.
If you have any questions or concerns about the Policy, or if you wish to make a complaint, please fill in the form available on our Contact us page.